Monday, October 27, 2008
The Body of Christ
People have been sharing with me how they look forward to Tuesday nights. Transitioning from only having Friday night dinners to house worship has not been difficult but has felt like the right decision. The past few weeks I have started a preaching series on Embrace Values. The core values of what it means to be a Christian at Embrace. Our first week we talked about extravagant generosity and meeting needs in our community. It was from that first week one of our friends; Aaron mentioned a need that a couple had in our immediate community. The couple is struggling financial because they are going through a lot of transitions. Aaron and Jason brought up the idea of collecting money for a gift card so they could buy groceries. I was amazed at how Embrace, a young church, stepped up and gave to this cause. The couple has come to our dinners a few times and has pointed their Christian friends to us. The couple has been severely burnt by Christians in the past and we wanted to be sensitive to their hurts. I wanted to be prayerful about the manner in which I delivered the gift card. I did not want them to feel obligated to come to Embrace or treat them as objects but simply as God's people: my brothers and sisters. When the man opened the door I told him how Embrace wanted to give them something to help out with the transition. The man was blown away and was literally speechless. Our interaction was very brief. A few days later his wife stopped by Friday night dinner. As she started thanking us she broke down and cried. We were able to tell her how much we loved her and her husband and how we pray for them on a weekly basis. I look forward to the day that the family worships with us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment