The word is starting to get out that my office is at the corner of Ashland and High Street, which might not mean anything to people outside of Lexington, but if you live close to Chevy Chase you know it's one of the epicenters of the community. Starbucks has become the place were I have my meetings, prepare my sermons, and share my faith. It's also been the location where I have met several people. I'm convinced people do not come into Starbucks because of the $3 drinks but they come for the experience and simply to be around people. I see lonely people everyday, lonely people hiding behind their laptops, iPods, books, and newspapers. While others are chatting away and enjoying someone else's company these lonely people isolate themselves no matter the differences. Some of the lonely people I have met are property owners, real-estate agents, lawyers, and doctors. Other lonely people I have met are a bit awkward, might be different for a number of reasons. The reasons are too overwhelming for some of the people they meet, which often results in hurt, rejection, and more loneliness. Ever since I can remember, even in my pagan days, I had a heart for the people who went under the radar. When I came to faith in Christ I finally realized it was God who gave me the ability to see and love people. Now I understand it as my desire to see God's kingdom continuing to come to earth.
I have come to see that the lonelier or more rejected a person is by society the more their hearts are open to the Gospel. When Jesus came to proclaim the Good News it was to people who were not the religious dignitaries or the elite but were the poor, lower class, and those who were unbelielievably burdened.
Recently, God has taught me more about the kingdom of God through James, a special needs man I met at Starbucks, than I ever learned in a seminary class. James is a bit awkward, my shake your hand to hard, my hold it too long, but his heart is one that is after God. After my first time talking with James I invited him to come to my house for dinner on Friday in which he came. James told me that nobody has ever been so nice to him before and than he told me something that caught me off guard, "I Love you." When I heard that I immediately thought of Jesus. I thought something so trivial and mundane to some people but I was blown away to think that Jesus loves James. Jesus loves me. And Jesus loves everybody.
James came to church with me this past Sunday. I knew he was nervous to meet new people so we went to Woodland Park and prayed that he wouldn't be nervous to come to church. I was really proud of Nick, Aaron, and Mark who sat with their new friend and made him feel right at home. Near the end of the service we took communion. The Dillards were serving us communion and James and I came up toward the end of the line. I had one of the most intimate times of participating in communion in my life. I put my hand on James' shoulder and explained what exactly we were taking into our bodies and as we ingested the bread and juice.
James enjoyed church and came out to lunch with us after. The thing that frightened me the most is that James has lived in the Chevy Chase area his entire life and what if he has never been told about the Good News before in his 38 year old life? This is exactly what drives me, this is what won't let me quit, the thought that Lexington is full of people like James fills my bones with fire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Wow.
And I am struck by something you said, that somethings, once they had been stripped away (painful as that was) allowed you to recapture yourself, some parts that had been lost. He does work all things for the good, even tho it hurts like hell. And now, you are there in your office (thanks for the Americano today!) and doing stuff and going places so few pastors and Christians get to go or will do.
and yet i'm better off now and in tune with people in a way that exceeds what I ever was before...I guess it's one aspect of Christ redeeming the time/sanctifying our lives.
Post a Comment