Friday, April 17, 2009

Embrace Concert at Al's Bar


Life is about taking risk and one person said, "there are no rewards without taking risks."  If you know me, you know I'm crazy enough to take risks.  I have always been a risk-taker.  As the pastor of Embrace we want to be the type of church that is willing to go where the people are and if that means sponsoring a concert with a secular band in a bar then so be it. 

We had two local acts, Goldenrod and Matt Duncan, along with a 15 member pop band from San Francisco, Still Flyin.  When people came into Al's Bar they were shocked there was no cover charge and even more shocked how a church was sponsoring the concert.  It was a great night for music and talking to many of the people at the concert.  It not only helped us with our visibility but also our accessibility to the community.  I was given the privilege to talk briefly in between acts, which was a cool experience.  I kept it short because I knew people weren't there to hear me.  I believe this will be something we do more often and will continue to try new things in the way of our outreach to the city of Lexington.

No comments: