Monday, November 17, 2008

Faith-Sharing At It's Finest

Last night a few of us were on a quest to find a second controller for April's Nintendo WII.  We decided to hit up Meijers and while we were at it pick up some vanilla ice cream for the brownies.  Our trip to the electronics section was an eventful to say the least.  When we first entered I saw Josh who had come to one of our Friday night dinners during the past summer.  He was invited through our mutual friend Scott.  We both recognized each other and he asked me how everything was going with the new church.  I was able to get his number and he wants more info about Embrace.  While I was talking with Josh, everybody else was on the quest for the WII controller.  When I joined them I was cracking a few jokes.  We were all in kind of a silly mood and I start acting goofy especially to annoy Schloemer and Duff.  One of the sales associates was cracking up at us and April said that I was her pastor.  He told her she did not look like the type to go to church.  April asked him what he meant.  He said, "I always thought church was for old, white-haired ladies."  We told them we would stop by again once we knew where our Sunday morning services would be.  On the way home we were reflecting on our experience and April was telling us what the sales associate said about church.  Lauren commented how April shared her faith without even knowing it.  Sometimes the best type of faith sharing we do is done without realizing it.  It just flows out of us naturally.  Even though we are fighting an up-hill battle in America about telling people they need Jesus we know God has promised us a harvest.  We just need to go out and identify who is the harvest.  We might have not planted the seed or even watered it but Jesus tells us it is ready.  Listen to what Jesus says to his disciples in John 4:35, "You know the saying, 'Four months between planting and harvest.' But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest."  The question is do we really believe the words of Jesus?  The harvest is ready, God's prevenient grace is at work in the hearts and lives of people, the only thing needed are laborers to go out into the harvest field.  People often pray and wait for God to knock them upside the head in order for them to act.  Maybe we need to keep in mind that God desires his followers to be bold faith-sharers and pray where we would fit in that mission…then be willing to ACT!

No comments: