The past few weeks my theology on the "worship service" has been challenged, tore down, and built back up. I have been questioned about some of the elements we have in our worship service namely the Lord's Prayer and Holy Communion. From the beginning I said we were going to celebrate Holy Communion every week. A few people have asked how we reach out to seekers who may be intimated by such elements of the worship service. I have understood the Sunday morning worship service to be a celebration by God's people in light of God's work.
When we come together for worship it takes work on our part. The worship service is not the time to have a pep rally but it is the time for liturgy which often is a forgotten service. Liturgy is the people's work in light of God's work. In the Greek liturgy is translated as the "work of the people." Unfortunately, the early church's understanding of worship is neglected because we live in a self-seeking culture where parishioners go "church shopping" instead of attending a church where they can serve. The mentality is one attends church to be served rather than serving with their gifts/graces for ministry.
We want to be a place for seekers, don't get me wrong. But I rather be Spirit-sensitive than seeker-senstive. For me there are some nonnegotiables like celebrating Holy Communion every week. For the past 2,000 years the Eucharist has been the central act of worship so why do we centuries later decide it's not going to speak for itself or make people feel uncomfortable?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
You speak with a different voice in a blog. Your blog is less formal and I like it!
Post a Comment