Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

The past few years I have not been going home for the holidays.  Don't get me wrong, I miss my family and want to go home but feel the need or have the desire to stay in Lexington (maybe my counseling friends can help me out on this one).  The past few holidays I have spent them with friends and this latest thanksgiving holiday I spent with some of the people from Embrace.  Abigail hosted our dinner and Abigail's mom Debbie and Jenn Courtney's parents who were also in town cooked the meal.  We were thoroughly entertained with Joseph's guitar playing and his friend Steve the magician, who was a big hit!  Also a couple by the name of Louis and Daryl were there that Abigail has been journeying with from the Monday night food and clothing bank for close to a year now.  It was a quite a diverse group made up of believers and unbelievers.  It was an opportunity to not only share a meal but to really share our lives with each other.  I think many people get neglected during the holidays especially if they don't have family close by.  I believe we as the church need to step up and invite people into our world.  Our blood family is important but as we learn from the Scriptures the household of faith is even more important.  As long as my parents don't kill me I desire to stick around Lexington during the holidays to spend it with Embrace people.

No comments: