Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In the words of Ice Cube, "Today was a good day."

Connections

Today was once again an awesome day.  I had a district committee meeting for my continuation as a pastor.  It couldn't have gone any better.  Yesterday I wrote down in Aaron's notebook to call Jerry Beck, the pastor of Park UMC, which is right in the location we want to plant the church.  We were hoping to visit with him and share the things that God was doing.  The great thing about Methodism is the strong connectional system of pastors and churches in the conference.  Well, when I normally meet with the Dcom there are usually three people I talk with.  This time it was only two, Mrs. Bowden and somebody who was not on any of my subcommittee's before, Jerry Beck.  They asked me what I was up to in ministry.  I shared with them everything that was going on.  They were overwhelmed with my enthusiasm.  I got jerry's card and we are going to do lunch sometime soon. 

Bridges of God

After I left my meeting I went to Chik Fila to meet Ryan and his friend for lunch.  On the days Ryan Ellis is off from school I take him with me as my wingman for ministry.  I told him he going to learn more than what I know, which won't take much!  Anyway I keep reinforcing to Ryan that he has would missiologist, Donald McGavern would call the "bridges of God."  The "bridges of God" are basically the relationship that one has with non-believers.  I told Ryan he has an opportunity to win his old friends to Christ.  The tendency is we divorce ourselves from the world instead of embracing what God is already doing in a person's life.  We met with one of Ryan's friends today and hung out.  We had no "God" conversation but we are working on building a relationship and showing him I am a regular guy even though I am a pastor.

Our next stop was to the VA Hospital after our late lunch and afternoon of watching Ryan and his friend play video games.  We went to the VA to visit the grandfather of Becky (who I met in the tattoo parlor).  We got there and were disappointed because he was moved to the Leestown Rd location.  It gave me an excuse to call Becky and ask her about his condition (left a voice mail message).  I explained to Ryan that even though God calls you to do something it might not work out the way you anticipate it.  It is a matter of obedience that you are willing to do what He asks of you.

Baptism

Tonight I decided to go to Common Grounds to hang out and work on my sermon for this weekend.  I decided to call Ryan (Versailles) on my way up to see how he was doing because he starts his new job tomorrow morning.  I told Ryan that I was going to Common Grounds.  When I pulled up to the parking lot he was waving at me with a cheesy grin on his face.  We sat down and had coffee together.  I was then prompted to ask Ryan if he had ever been baptized before, he said no.  I explained to him what baptism was and why it is important.  Needless to say Ryan is going to get baptized this Sunday (my first baptism)!  As we were sitting and chit chatting the person behind us said I can't help but overhearing but what church do you go to.  I told him The Rock/La Roca and he said he knew Jeff Rogers (thinks highly of him).  Zach told me he had been out of the church for a while.  I invited to the community dinner at my house and church on Sunday, he was excited.

 

Friends, keep praying!


No comments: